So as a part of my move I’ve opted to use Uverse by AT&T as my internet service provider and have included Television as part of my package. I placed my order online and scheduled an installer to come to my house on the 5th. That’s the day after I moved in. I scoured the site from top to bottom, clicked every link available and explored every corner of the interface, but there was no option to specify that I wanted to include a package of 8 static IP addresses. Additionally, because I was receiving $150 in discounts for placing my order “entirely online”, I couldn’t call a representative either. This left me with only one possible recourse: The notes field. I stated clearly in my account notes that I intended to have the 8 Static IP address package, and wanted the installer to ensure it was properly working before he left.
Well clearly this worked perfectly. The installer arrived and had read the notes. Unfortunately, it wasn’t something he could do. I would have to call AT&T again. The installation was quite pleasant. The installer did an excellent and professional job aside from that static IP issue. I enjoyed fast, responsive internet service all night, until I went to bed. As he left he informed me that the installation and service logs can sometimes take a few hours to clear out , and it was already end of day. I decided to call about my static IP addresses the next morning.
Then things got interesting.
I wake up on the 6th and the internet doesn’t work. I try resetting the 3800hgv-b modem & router they provided. I go through all the usual debugging procedures, then I log in and check some advanced stuff. Turns out it’s receiving absolutely no signal. I call AT&T technical support. Bright and early, 9 o’clock. I explained the situation, and was given an apointment for the next day. This is the first unreasonable thing AT&T did. As a new customer with an installer out the afternoon before, no attempt at all was made to rush the repair service. I was put off until the 7th to get things fixed. I called back a few times throughout the day in an attempt to get a technician out sooner, but to no avail. the 7th comes and goes, the problem is simple, and again I wait until the 8th to make my next phone call, again, to give the service claim time to settle out. Also because I’ve noticed that the majority of the AT&T phone people seem to not pay attention. I don’t want them getting confused “But you just had a technician out”.
On the morning of the 8th I give AT&T the call. After much confusion and commotion, a technician is scheduled to come to my house to “Install static IP addresses” on the 19th. I know all they have to do if their setup is sane is route a subnet of 8 IPs to my connection and tell me what they are, but apparently this 3800hgv-b gets in the way somehow and makes this more complicated. I’m writing this on the 14th, and I’ve spent the last days doing nothing but research. Turns out the 3800hgv-b can’t simply pass a connection. it comes pre-shipped with the capability to work in “Bridged mode” (A fancymode of operation where the device simply gets out of the way and lets you connect like it were a standard Ethernet connection), and AT&T neuters that functionality out of it, along with a dozen or so other features, prior to shipping it to the end user.
Update: I’m releasing this article as of March 12 with the original intended publish date as “to be continued”